Monday 7 April 2014

Passing it on...Veronika Decides to Die

The Red String theory suggests that those destined to meet are connected to each other by an invisible cord which can stretch or tangle but never break.  The television show Touch, which ran for two seasons in the US, based a part of its premise on this wonderful thought and like another short lived show, the beloved Firefly, holds a special place in my heart.

Created by Kiefer Sutherland, who also stars, the storyline centers around a fascinating eleven-year old boy, Jake Bohm, who uses numbers to communicate and see patterns of events.  In the pilot episode, a passenger loses his phone in an airport, a rather traumatizing experience for him as the phone contains pictures of his deceased daughter.  The phone travels from the airport across continents, connecting individuals, some lost and some in need of hope.  In what could have been an altogether tragic event, the phone travels across the globe playing out that idea of interconnectedness. 


I loved this idea and wanted to be able to cross the paths of different people and their experiences.  A smart phone isn't very practical for me so I had to think of something else.  What is it that could connect and speak to the hearts of others? My first blog post hints at my love for writer Paulo Coelho's work by mentioning a book which had an astounding impact on my life.  Veronika Decides to Die spoke to the best of me, to that part of me that wants to find my treasure or my sword.  I have an idea...I want this book to travel like the phone did.  I'd like it to find those who are in need of hope and in search of their travels.  Perhaps this is the start of an idea I'd like to nurture...a book I need to pass on, a book that needs to drift from soul to soul, each time having thoughts placed into it.  Each new soul finding their hopes within and leaving their thoughts behind for others to read.  And then I would like this book to come back to me, to see all the souls its has drifted to and to feel the hope in finding one's treasure...the universe will conspire to help me find my treasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment